Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Indie Ink Writing Challenge - The Surprise

It’s my first week participating in the Indie Ink Writing Challenge and crap was I challenged! Good thing fiction is allowed because I’m not one for talking about S E X, let alone writing about it for the whole world and my mother to read.  Thanks Rachel for the prompt!


she turned to him after their lovemaking, and said, "I'm not sure how to tell you this. It happened so long ago..."

“Wha-?” he mumbled with a yawn. It was late and he had to be up in a few hours.

“You need to listen to me,” she insisted. “Things are going to change for you and if you aren’t prepared you might not survive.”

He was wide awake now. “What the hell are you talking about?”

She sat up, pulling the sheet to her chest and turning slightly away so as not to have to look at him. “When I got here ten years ago I had one objective: find a mate.”

Aw crap. He thought. Just because we had sex she thinks we’ll get married and have babies. Why do chicks do that? “Listen, Marie, I like you. A lot. But don’t you think you’re jumping the gun a little? We’ve only gone out a few times…”

“No Henry, you need to listen. I’ll be gone soon and won’t be able to help you with what is going to happen,” she turned to face him, her bright yellow eyes were sad.

 Yellow eyes? How had he not noticed before? Now he was getting freaked out.

“Maybe I should go and we can talk about this tomorrow… after we’ve gotten some rest,” he said swinging his feet off the bed and looking around the room for his pants.

She grabbed his wrist in a surprisingly strong grip, “I don’t have much time. I’ll be called back in a few minutes.”

“Called where?”

“Home, they will know I’ve completed my mission and bring me back as soon as they can.”

“You are home,” he gestured around the room. A silver box on top of the dresser began to glow with a clear blue light and emit a soft melody. “What is that?”

“I’ve written down everything I could think of to help you through the next few weeks,” she said handing him a small composition book she’d pulled out of the bedside drawer.  The light from the box was getting brighter and the melody faster. Marie stood up and walked toward the sound.  She extended her hand to the box and turned to look at him, “You are going to have my baby, thank you.”

13 comments:

RachelintheOC said...

I LOVE it. So great, girl. I'm a huge sci-fi, paranormal geek nerd so wow, now I want more. Keep going! Bitchin.

Jason Hughes said...

Wow. LOL! Wow. “You are going to have my baby, thank you.” Holy crap. And wow again! This post made my evening!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Made me giggle. That was an excellent surprise. Loved your take on this.

supermaren said...

Oh. My. God. I LOVE IT! I'm completely geeking out here; what a great twist to the challenge.

Kerri Anne said...

You totally hooked me. And I couldn't help but laugh at the end. So great.

Sheilagh Lee said...

this is an amazing story.

flutter said...

Nice!

You can call me, 'Sir' said...

There are endless cliches about what every guy's worst nightmare involving a woman might be, but you just flushed all of them down the toilet and replaced them with a new one. Very impressive, indeed.

Anonymous said...

:D Awesome.

Marian said...

ha! super fun!
hopefully your challenge for next week will allow you to write Chapter Two. :)

Tobie said...

Thanks everyone. It was so fun. I love to watch Sci-Fi but never really imagined being able to write it. I'm also interested to know what happens next.

myplaidpants said...

This is so fun! Love it.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Holy wow! Yes and yes again.(Hugs)Indigo