Wednesday, April 13, 2011

SAVE THE CHILDREN!

It's Indie Ink Writing Challenge time again! Thanks so much, Random Girl, for the inspiration. I hope you like it!

I have so many things running through my head right now.  Perhaps I’m taking this exercise too seriously? Don’t do drugs. Guns are bad. Don’t forget to spay or neuter your pets. Recycle! Love your neighbor. Which one do I pick to focus on for 60 seconds?

Ok I have it.

Turn off the television.

Look, I’m as big a pop-culture/TV/Movie/Video Game junkie as the next person. But I also like to read.  I know some of the Jersey Shore morons have “written” books so you can start there (please don’t unless you absolutely have too, it would only encourage them).

Get outside! Plant some vegetables or flowers! Get your hands dirty instead of your mind. While you’re at it, put down the cellphone. Will the world end if you don’t forward that funny chain text message? Probably not.

Since we’re talking about the end of the world, get your hands on the movie Idiocracy. Watch it and realize that it is happening: society is getting exponentially dumber with every generation*.

Please. For the sake of your children’s children’s children. Unless the volcano under Yellowstone blows before then, ‘cause we’re all toast if that happens.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

P.P.S. A crackteacup maybe, but not a full-on pot.

*Claims not verified by any authoritative agency.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oops! I forgot tell you what the prompt was:

You have just been offered the world stage for 1 minute. Everyone will hear and see you. How do you use your 1 minute with the world's attention?

Maybe I need to cut down my TV time even more?

8 comments:

Random Girl said...

Unplug and engage! What a great message. I think the world could stand to hear this message most certainly. Great take on the challenge!

Marian said...

dude, i am definitely getting stupider.
love this.

Dafeenah said...

Totally agree. Ancient Egyptians built pyramids and the Sphynx. We give the Kardashians their own show. Definitely dumbing down.

Great job with the prompt.

Alyssa said...

can i get an amen?!

supermaren said...

Amen!! I just spent the day in my garden yesterday before it started raining. What a nice opportunity to unplug.

K said...

Couldn't agree with you more!

You can call me, 'Sir' said...

Idiocracy definitely made me laugh on the outside and cry on the inside. Your 1-minute message is ideal, but futile, I fear.

Jason Hughes said...

LOL! Very nice! I found myself giggling after I reread it, knowing the prompt! Reminds me of that Toad the Wet Sprocket song, "Throw It All Away." Lovely post! (And I hope people were paying attention after you told them to turn the TV off!) :)