Thursday, July 28, 2011

Early one morning just as the sun was rising*

Is there anything more wonderful that waking up whenever you wake up? For me it's somewhere between 8 and 9. But for some reason this morning I was awake at 6:30 and just couldn't get back to sleep.

I'd been up late the night before celebrating. My publisher had just accepted my second book and a large advance was on its way. She'd even mentioned putting me on contract for another three books. Squee!

Who would have guessed? Me? Silly, socially awkward, Tobie, living it up in NYC as a published author? Only in my wildest dreams!

Knowing better than to wake Christy up, I slipped into a pair of jeans a hoodie intending to grab coffee and something sweet at the bakery down the block. I was in such a hurry I almost forgot to grab the key to the apartment (thank-you Christy's sister's in-laws for letting us stay here while you're out of town!).

I was locking the door behind me when the neighbor across the hall came out of his apartment.

"Morning," he mummbled, not even looking at me. He was cute. If you like the whole tall dark and handsome look.

"Hi," I replied pulling on the door to try to get the deadbolt to engage. It wasn't wanting to click into place.

"It's kind of tricky," my mystery neighbor said reaching around me to lift and pull the knob as he deftly slid the lock home. "I'm Sam, you must be Christy. Charlie and Simone told me about you."

"Oh no, I'm Christy's friend Tobie. Nice to meet you and thanks," I nodded my head at the door as I shoved the keys into my pocket and getting my first good look at him. Holy crap was he gorgeous. Dark hair, a day's worth of stubble and pale blue eyes that I couldn't seem to look away from as we walked down the hall to the stairs.

"Where you headed?" Sam asked as he held the lobby door open for me.

Was is my imagination or was he having trouble looking away from me too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that was fun! Many thanks to MajorBedhead for the inspiration: 
        An early spring morning, somewhere in New York City.

Like to write and want to play? Check out the II Challenge

*Name that tune.

3 comments:

Major Bedhead said...

Oooh, very nice. I would like to meet Sam!

Jason Hughes said...

What a cute short story! Remind me to get the address for that apartment building... ;)

Chronicles of Illusions said...

Great little story - one that sounds like it could be the beginnings of a WIP if you ask me. :)