Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Favor


Her favorite color was lavender. But she ruthlessly shoved past her new purple top in search of the drab olive green blouse her mother had given her for her last birthday. She was going to the ballroom tonight, but she wasn’t going to have fun or try to hard. 

She owed Dan a favor and this was how he chose to collect. By making her accompany him to the Friday night swing dance class so he could be assured of having a partner once the open dancing started. It didn’t hurt that she’s been the one to introduce him to the hobby so she knew what she was doing.

She was scraping her long dark brown hair into a messy ponytail when her doorbell rang setting her dog, Milo off on a cacophony of delighted barking as he raced to the front door.

“You ready?” Dan asked.

“Give me five minutes,” she said opening the door and walking back to her bedroom. She smudged on the barest hint of black eyeliner and a single coat of mascara before grabbing a sheer rose colored lip-gloss from her basket of makeup and slipping it into her back pocket along with her driver’s license and cash.

She paused before leaving her room to take a couple of calming breaths. It was ok. She was allowed to go out and have fun.

“Hurry it up,” Dan called. “I don’t want to miss the lesson.”

“You know I can give you a quick refresher when we get there?” she reminded him as she came down the hall.

Dan was still standing by the door, Milo sitting at his feet begging for a good pet. “Yes, but I already know you. I want to meet some new ladies and the partner switching during the lesson is the easiest way the break the ice.”

She rolled her eyes and grabbed her keys from the table by the door. “Be good Milo, I love you!” she said with a quick couple of pats before leading Dan out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Alison and the II Writing Challenge for a truly inspiring prompt: Her favorite color was lavender. I think I may have the beginning of something pretty good here.

Be sure to swing by Debra's blog to see how she answered my challenge.

6 comments:

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Great story. Just a little confused about the dog's name:Milo or Homer.

Tobie said...

Oh goodness! Thanks for the edit, I was debating between the two and I guess my brain and fingers weren't communicating to each other.

Alison Perry said...

I think you have the beginning of something good as well. Good job! I am glad you liked the prompt!

Anonymous said...

This was a good start. It has left me wondering about their relationship - are they just friends? does she want more from him?
Nice way to use the prompt and grow the story from there.

Tara R. said...

Definitely a great opening for a longer story. I liked that a you used the prompt so early in the piece.

Tony said...

Something tells me the author of this piece has had experience swing dancing. :-)