Thursday, October 6, 2011

D-I-Y-ing to get something done.

I picked up the picture frame at TJ Maxx over the summer. It was hot pink. It was also very inexpensive and with my innate cheapness I was able to see it spray panted white and going very well with my half finished bedroom decor.

I typically hand these kinds of projects over to my mom. She has all of the tools and could do it in about a 1/4 the time it would take me. Most of the time she's happy to do them, but there are a few lovely tufted chairs, an art deco desk and a sewing desk currently all in various stages of completion. I'm not going to quibble (much) she does it all for me for free.

I owe a lot of my craftiness and problem solving skills to my mom. She grew up in the 60's and had many, many aunts uncles and cousins around all the time. She learned to sew at an early age, and being the oldest of three was my granddads little helper for a long time before my uncle came along. I've heard a lot of stories about the dangerous stunts she and her cousins used to pull. To this day it seems, there might still be underground tunnels creeping all over the property where my great grandma lived. A cousin bought the house and property after her death, so we are lucky to still have it in the family.

Now that I have my own home and my very own garage I have my very own project to begin. I didn't even think about taking it to my mom and dad's house, but straight to my own. That was about six months ago, so it looks like I've also inherited my mom's sense of urgency. Granted it is a project that needs to stay in the garage and it gets way too hot here in the summer to spend much time there. Yesterday's sudden change in weather reminded me that the garage should be nice and cool for a while and I'll need to get cracking on my project.

It's a dresser. I haven't a clue what period it is from or inspired by, but I love it. It has four levels of drawers, the top divided into two smaller drawers, with a big curvy mirror that attaches to the top. I want to turn it into my dressing area. Right now it is a dark natural wood stain, but I want to paint it a shade darker than my grey walls and stencil the front with a large white fluer-de-lis type design. Or maybe black or white chevrons? Pintrest has me going crazy with ideas.

Knowing myself, the dresser will probably still be sitting in the middle of the garage this time next year.

Hey, wait a minute!

I'm trying to be nicer about myself and that wasn't very nice. So instead I'll turn this into a challenge. I'm going to get started on my "new" dresser this weekend. Yep. No more putting things off. Especially things that would make me very happy.

Pictures to come!


For the Indie Ink Writing Challenge this week, Summer challenged me with, "Look around you right now, pick an item and write a story about it" and I challenged Cedar with "Remember the fable of the Lion and the Mouse? If not look it up. Write about a situation from the prospective of the lion".




1 comment:

Jason Hughes said...

I'm intrigued--I'm guessing this is nonfiction? I, too, inherited a love of bringing old things new life--and such a sense of accomplishment when it's done! Get to it! A great glimpse into your life, Tobie!