Thursday, August 11, 2011

Don't you touch my iPhone!

It's that time again! Time for the Indie Ink Writing Challenge! This week mine comes from Greg and id kind of kicked my butt:

The coming technological singularity.


I LOVE my technology. I was the first of my friends to get a cellphone, DVD player, and TiVo and assorted other little gadgets and things designed to make life easier. So this make what I am about to say seem a little crazy.

I wish the internet had never been invented.

I know, I know, with out the internet you wouldn't be reading this right now. I wouldn't have met some amazing people and learned so many things. I would also be EXTREMELY bored at work.

A few months ago a customer came in (an old man) and he asked to use my desk phone to call his office. He didn't have a cell phone. While my first thought was, "Who in this day and age doesn't have a cell phone?" My very next thought was, "That must be nice..."

I have an iPhone. As soon as Verizon started offering them (and my renewal time came up) I had it in my hot little hands. I love it. I love it so much I would marry it. But at the same time I kind of loathe it. I learned from previously having a Droid and several Blackberries that I was addicted to the little chime that told me I had new mail or text messages. In the movie theater I would keep my phone at the very top of my purse so I could glance down to see if the message indicator light was blinking.

When I got the iPhone I immediately disabled all alerts except for text messages. Not just to save battery power but the keep myself from engaging with my phone every time spam came in to one of my three (yes three) email addresses. It has made a huge difference in a lot of ways. I can carry on a conversation with out rudely checking my email. I can watch a TV show or movie with out getting distracted by someone's comment on Facebook. Tiny things, but I'll take them.

So what do I think about the coming technological singularity? I think it's bad, bad news. Not that computers will grow to overtake humans or anything like that. I just think technology may be getting a little too big for it's britches.

Check out Greg's response to my prompt. It's kind of weird that I answered his and he answered mine...

No comments: